Sunday, July 27, 2014

Bukhara - Ancient Crossroads

Dad and I absolutely loved Bukhara, the ancient crossroads of the Silk Road. The architecture is stunning - a mixture of Maddresses, Mosques, and battlements. 


The Shashlik (BBQ meat) is so good with raw onions soaked in vinegar and spices. Yes, that's me eating onions below. 


There are over 140 Maddresses (Islamic schools) in Bukhara. Many of the kids would shout out to us "Hello! Where are you from?" Then run away when we said "America!" Then run back when we shouted "New York!"


Below Dad sits on the throne of the Emir in the Ark, which was originally a 4th Century fort that was taken over at least seven times and rebuilt bigger each time but to little avail - conquers include Alexander the Great, Ghengis Kahn, Timur (Tsmerlane), the Persians, the Turks, the Czar, and the Bolsheviks - all sat on this throne. 


1 comment:

  1. Enjoying reading about the journey! I check constantly. I can smell your onion breath!
    Great tales! Pretending I'm along the journey as I read.

    ReplyDelete